2018 Historic Sew Monthly: Planning Post

Last year I completed one project. This year my aim is two. I've honed in on the challenges I think I can comfortably complete:

Feb: Under: Make something that goes under the other layers.
I've been so focused on underwear, so this is going to be the spur to actually finish some. It will likely be a 1910 corset, and possibly associated underpinnings - like a 1910 brassiere or simple petticoat.

MarchComfort at Home: Make something to wear around the (historical) house.

Honestly, I could spend a whole year just on this theme. I want to make some more 20s style slips; some kaftan trousers; a smoking jacket and hat; a dressing gown. I spend so much of my time wearing pajamas anyway. Really, the chief challenge here will be narrowing it down.
June: Rebellion and Counter-Culture: Create an item that pays homage to fashion rebels and clothes that flaunt their place on the fringes of standard sartorial society, or that was signature to a rebelling cause.

This was my suggestion from the Facebook group ^_^ I'm pretty chuffed to see it featured. In all honesty, I don't know if I've time to do this one - but I feel like I ought to! I'm thinking of probably the early gay Victorians, something inspired by Oscar Wilde's set, EM Foster or Evelyn Waugh. That sort of aesthetic tragic dandy menswear is my look anyway, and I hope I'll be able to use this as an excuse to make one of my grail garments. I'm psyched to see what others come up with.

JulySleeves: There are some amazing examples of historical sleeves styles out there. Put the focus on the arms and shoulders in your creation for this challenge.

I think this will be a Victorian shirt. Not notably sleevetastic, but the very challenge of fitting fitted sleeves is enough to make this my focus!
AugustExtant Originals: Copy an extant historical garment as closely as possible.
If all goes to plan, my 1910 replica frock will have been completed by now. It's a very challenging, high-level project so I can't say I'm optimistic. But I am excited to try.

Comments

  1. We all agreed (moderators) that the Rebels theme was a very good "thematic" challenge (as opposed to techniques & purposes for the clothing), of which we didn't have many for this year, so in it went. :-) If I'm lucky and all goes well, I'd love to finally make my 1848 Czech jacket for it... if not, I might make something else a Czech nationalist might wear historically. :D

    Good luck with your replica garment! And BTW, to help you narrow down the Comfort at Home challenge - I'm not sure 1920s slips count as something worn specifically around the house?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts