Historical Sew Monthly plans






I am rather late to this party, and am resolved not to participate in every challenge, but only those to which I can give my full Attention, Diligence and Care


July: Fashion Plate 


I'm going to make a waistcoat to go with my shirt, probably a Regency waistcoat. I've got the book on how to drape it from Sharon Sobel

August: Ridiculous 

EDWARDIAN. UNDERWEAR. FER GOODNESSAKES WOMAN, IS THERE NO END TO THIS MADNESS?

As many items of the wardrobe as I can get together. One very nice thing about historic dressmaking is how easy undergarments are to make. Corsets aside, they're minimally fitted, simple shapes, and if they look dreadful - who cares! It's a fab way to "ease in", AND I guess many of them can be reused costume after costume, a chemise being much like any other chemise.

September: Seen Onscreen 


This is one I was excited to go for, as a most avid devotee of your modern Cinematograph presentations. However, I'm thinking to skip it; or make excuses about the underwear from Picnic at Hanging Rock to complete the undergarments.

I do have much-loved cinema costumes. Irene Adler's Victorian fishtail from Sherlock Holmes is probably high on the list. I do want to make something inspired by Mary Poppins' white summer dress. But I think I'm put off by the idea of making a "costume", however, already associated with a character; rather than having more freedom to pick and choose.  I may cheat and work on my Doctor Who costume instead.

October: Out of Your Comfort Zone 

Depending on how August goes, this might be the 1900s corset month. If not, then I am already working on my project: a series of dolls clothed in Janet Arnold patterns. They're great! They are at 1:1 scale to the pattern, none of that pesky fitting, and are helping me understand how the patterns and shapes fit together. I have double read the rules, to check I'm not violating the spirit of the challenge, and there's nothing there about the costumes being full-sized, so I believe it will be acceptable.

November: HSF Inspiration 

I'm keeping my eye out, but I've not seen anything yet; I think I'm at the stage as a creator where I still have a long personal to-do list, and a lack of skill, which makes jumping in at something new less appealing. I may swap this out for an appreciation blog, linking to some of my favourites from the challenge. So far, the two I like and think are achieveable by me of are this big floppy hat, and this 30s men's waistcoat.

December: Go Wild 

I'm not so wild about this theme. When I was reading through the list, I though that a nice way to structure themes would be by use: "day at the beach"; "the funeral"; "an undergarment". So if I'm still enthusiastic at this time, I may go with some form of "hunting" gear, good for wiping out indigenous megafauna/populations and looking utterly spiffing.

Comments

Popular Posts